At the SFA we're completely transforming the way we build our digital services. We’re bringing our development in-house, and moving from waterfall to agile, fixed release cycles to continuous delivery.
To succeed, we need Solutions Designers who can ensure that logical architecture, based on user needs, comes before physical architecture.
What could I be working on?
The work we do at the Agency is complex, yet the digital services we offer our users need to be clear, simple and fast. The scale of digital change needed to achieve this is huge.
The systems you’ll design will help young people find traineeships, help employers offer apprenticeships, and help people access careers advice.
There are a number of new and upcoming projects you could be working on. For example, you could be:
- working on one of our key projects, which are driving significant cultural and technological change. There is significant opportunity for you to shape new ways of working
- designing a new digital service, utilising new technology and cloud-based solutions
- working with our innovation team to trial new ideas by designing prototypes and proof of concepts. You’ll be working hands-on in an Agile environment, and the focus will be on delivering something tangible quickly.
Who will I be working with?
You’ll work with multidisciplinary agile teams to help them deliver their vision, collaborating with service managers, developers, delivery managers, product owners and others.
You’ll also work closely with suppliers, government partners and end-users, at all levels of the organisation.
Your ability to communicate with both your technical and non-technical colleagues, and to secure senior stakeholder buy in, will be key.
You'll be one of four Solution Designers in our Solution Design and Innovation Team, which is headed by Tim Marlow. Take a look at some blog posts by the team:
- Agile in Solution Design
- Playing together, nicely
- How do you divert a waterfall..?
- The challenge of untangling project siloes
- Agile - in all walks of life?
Salary: competitive, plus excellent pension and benefits
Closing date: Sunday 27th September 2015
Full job description and further information
For more details, take a look at the full Solution Designer job description (PDF).
Our candidate pack (PDF) includes useful information about our organisation, employee benefits and the application and interview process.
If you have any questions, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
To apply, send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Please ensure that together your CV and covering letter show how you meet the essential criteria of the role.
In your covering letter, please:
- confirm that you are eligible to work in the UK
- let us know if you currently work for the civil service, or have done so within the last 12 months
- let us know where you heard about the role
If you consider yourself to have a disability, please let us know if you:
- would like to apply under the guaranteed interview scheme
- require any special arrangements or adjustments to help you during the application process
You can read more about the guaranteed interview scheme and requesting arrangements or adjustments in our candidate pack.