We’re working with people across our organisation to make our digital services simpler, clearer and faster.
To help us do that, we’re looking for a talented, flexible Visual Designer to help us build user-centred products. This is a great opportunity to gain experience working on large digital services used by thousands of people every day.
You’ll produce and design concepts for digital services, working with front end developers to implement those concepts, ensuring all outputs are well designed and user focused.
We’re looking for someone with strong experience of interaction design, but also of graphic design and UX design. You'll have at least two years' experience and, more importantly, a strong portfilio.
Our ideal candidate will have a love of the web and its possibilities, a passion for design and its history, and an understanding of how form and function work together.
You’ll be someone who proactively seeks new learning opportunities and welcomes constructive criticism of your work.
Who will I be working with?
You’ll be an integral member of multidisciplinary agile teams. You’ll be working most closely with user researchers and front-end developers, designing in-browser.
What could I be working on?
The work we do at the Agency is complex, yet the digital services we offer our users need to be clear, simple and fast. The scale of digital change needed to achieve this is huge.
The services you could be designing will help young people find traineeships, help employers offer apprenticeships, and help people access careers advice.
There are a number of new and upcoming projects you could be working on. For example, you could be:
- working with our innovation team to trial new ideas by quickly designing prototypes and proof of concepts.
- designing the interface for a new digital service
- designing exceptional digital services for our assisted users, for example people with disabilities or who are at risk of homelessness
Salary: up to £32,500, plus excellent pension and benefits
Closing date: 5 July 2015
Full job description and further information
For more details, take a look at the full Visual Designer job description (PDF).
Our candidate pack (PDF) includes useful information about our organisation, employee benefits, and how to apply.
How to apply
To apply, send your CV, covering letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that together these three things show how you meet the essential criteria of the role.
In your covering letter, please:
- confirm that you are eligible to work in the UK
- let us know if you currently work for the civil service, or have done so within the last 12 months
- let us know where you first heard about the role
If you consider yourself to have a disability, please let us know if you:
- would like to apply under the guaranteed interview scheme
- require any special arrangements or adjustments to help you during the application process
You can read more about the guaranteed interview scheme and requesting arrangements or adjustments in our candidate pack (PDF).
On the blog
Take a look at some blog posts from the teams you could be working in:
- Common user research myths
- Ready for Live: Find an Apprenticeship
- Why we start with a minimal viable service – it’s not the end game!
- Using cartoons to bring user research to life
- Launch of our minimal viable service for traineeships
- Work is something we do, it does not have to be a place we go to!